What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage is a mixture of Massage techniques. Additional to the well-known effleurage, petrissage and tapotement techniques Sports Massage Therapists also utilise techniques such as Deep tissue massage, Frictions, Soft tissue release (STR), Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF), Muscle energy techniques (MET) and many more techniques aimed at encouraging a better, stronger and more active you!
You don’t need to be participating in sport or exercise to benefit from a Sports Massage. The benefits above can also help relieve the many day to day problems, repetitive strain injury, sprains, tension, fatigue, that everyone experiences.
The main goal of the Sports Massage session will be discussed prior to the massage, often the goal is to reduce tension, reduce soreness or to relieve pain.
However, everyone is different and outcome goals can vary from improving posture in desk-based workers, increasing range of motion and flexibility in professional and amateur athletes to general relaxation after a long day.
- Massage improves muscle tone and balance, reducing the physical stress placed on bones and joints.
- It increases blood circulation bringing more oxygen and nutrients into the muscle.
- Massage stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, helping promote relaxation and the reduction of stress.
- Create a feeling of well-being and enhanced self-esteem
- Promote positive body awareness and an improved body image through relaxation